Trevor - Norfolk, Virginia

Belief in Laughter

I believe in laughter. Laughter for me is a very powerful emotion that always pleases me and distracts my mind from everyday challenges. Hearing a joke, whether it makes me snicker or bust a gut, always provides comfort and reassures me. Laughing to some can be personal. These people usually don’t laugh in public because they find it rude. While others, like myself, don’t care who’s around to witness our moment of weakness. Every laugh means something or can at least tell something about the person who is laughing. Light laughter is for the proper and sophisticated, who don’t want to reveal their true personality. Feigned laughter is the result of a joke that either missed the punch line or really wasn’t funny to begin with. Feigned laughter is a sign that someone is possibly uncomfortable or too shy to join in. Laughter evokes a sense of juvenile eagerness that everyone can relate to. From the wonder years to the golden years, everyone has their favorite memory of laughing. My best laugh involves the kind of laugh where you can laugh at yourself and not feel ashamed, or at least not a whole lot. I was about ten and I was debating with my cousin that Norfolk State University meant Norfolk was in fact a state. I went on for hours claiming that it was false advertisement and why would a college lie about such a claim. My cousin finally got a puzzle map of the continental United States of America from my younger cousin and showed me that there was no “Norfolk” state. Yes, I was embarrassed but my embarrassment was overcome with a cramping laughter that I found solace in. My cousin and I laughed until tears flowed because of how serious I was. This is a laugh that my cousin and I still continue to get tears over. Jokes are almost always the cause for the laughter, yet many people find comfort in others’ misfortunes. Sometimes it can be a slip and fall, someone running into a wall or even a hit into the–, well never mind. Other times laughing can be the result of someone realizing their mistakes or just coming to a realization of some event in their life. Laughter takes the edge off of any situation that is beginning to become too serious for what is actually necessary. Laughter cushions the truth at times, when it can be too much to handle. Laughter is a necessity for life and living. Laughter all at once is highly contagious and a positive cure. So take in a deep breath and let out a big laugh and see what happens!