Matthew - Chesapeake, Virginia
Themes: respect

Free Freedom Is Hard to Come By

As a military brat, I grew up not having my dad around for six months at a time. While I worried about how I was going to do my homework, he worried about how he was going to keep the men on his ship safe. When I would stay up late to watch television and sleep in until 1 pm the next morning, he’d stay up late on watch, sleep 2 hours, and get up at 4 am to do it all over again. I am very lucky that I have not had to experience losing my dad, but he personally knows people that have made the ultimate sacrifice. I couldn’t even imagine not seeing my dad for three months and having someone from the government show up at your house to tell me I won’t see him again. Many of our own citizens don’t realize what those brave people and their families have to endure just for everyone’s freedoms.

Instances where people disrespectfully protest what the military does, really gets at me because without the freedom that our troops provide, they wouldn’t even be able to speak their minds. The mere fact that these protesters continue their antics, mocking the troops with no regard for the sacrifices made by the troops, drives me to confront those ungrateful members of society.

Thus, all this ignorance has made me realize that citizens of this great country need to wake up and support the troops. If only these people realized the struggles and sacrifices that the troops endure, they would be in awe at the mistake they are making. I whole heartedly believe that citizens should support the troops because of these men and women that put their lives on the line. There are millions of our own men and women out on the front lines living in the worst of conditions so we can enjoy our comforts at home. The least we can do is show respect and say thanks every once in a while. So next time you are relaxing in the comfort of your home and making a negative comment about the troops, think about what they’re probably doing at that same time. You put on your slippers; they put on their combat boots.