Wendy - Spring City, Pennsylvania
Themes: work

“Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.” This quote by Tim Notke translates and demonstrates the way I try to live my life. In this day and age, society continually finds new ways to award and celebrate mediocrity. This is particularly frustrating because since the time I was a young child, I was taught the value of hard work and dedication. I believe that hard work is the only way to succeed and excel in school, work and sports.

For the past 13 years, I have been pushed to work hard and strive for excellence in every aspect of my life. Both of my parents advocate and exemplify how working hard can benefit each individual. They push me to earn good grades in school and I have been taught that anything less than my best work is not satisfactory. In every subject in school, I do my best and work my hardest to earn As. Spending hours in front of a computer screen working on a project or paper is well worth the effort as long as I reap the benefits in the end. I never regret working hard because it pays off. My mom always told me, “You only get out what you put in.” This quote motivates me to work hard because if I spend time on schoolwork, I want to earn an A and show my best work.

Schoolwork is not the only aspect of life that takes hard work. In corporate America, the competition is fierce. There are so many candidates in line for jobs that excelling in college is not good enough anymore. Applicants must be willing to put out something extra, push the limits, and work harder than any other in line for the same position. Companies have no time and no tolerance for workers that are not willing to give their best effort and put forth their best work. In order to climb the corporate ladder and take one’s career to the next level, one must be willing to work harder in order to earn advances and promotions. My dad is a prime example of this concept. He taught me to work hard on everything, no matter how large or small, from the time I was in elementary school. He wanted me to work hard, and looking back I know it is because he wanted me to develop the work ethic I need to succeed. My dad has worked his way up through working long hours and doing his best to be a vice president in his software company. Outside of school and work, other aspects of life take hard work.

Competition is in everyone’s blood. Sports are a good example of competition and a need to work hard to win. I played tennis from sophomore to senior year in high school. By my junior year, I worked my way up to the varsity team from the bottom of the ladder. I practiced more than any girl on the team; I practiced outside of practice. I worked as hard as possible over the summer to improve my game in order to play varsity.

Numerous portions of life require hard work. That is one tool that is vital in order to succeed in school, work, and sports. I learned this lesson early in life and live by the need to strive for excellence no matter how hard I must work.