Vashdie - Chesapeake, Virginia

I believe in smiling.

I am not that happy-go-lucky person who is always chipper and believes that there is no wrong. I am first and foremost a human being. I have my good days and my bad days. My life is not perfect, but, I am not trying to make it perfect either. One thing I do know is that I smile. A smile goes a long way. It takes no effort and people always look better when they smile. Smiling brightens up my life and my surroundings and gives me confidence in the belief that everything is going to be okay.

I remember one of my former teachers saying to me one morning, “Every time I see you, you have a smile on your face. That is a good thing and you should never let that fade.” She was my tenth grade Geometry teacher. Since that day, every time I smile, I remember her words. I believe that smiling at the people I encounter may improve their day. They could be having the worst day possible and seeing a pleasant face can lift their spirits. Someone else could be feeling like there is not a speck of sunshine in this harsh world and throwing a quick smile their way could give them hope. One of the best things that I like about smiling is the other person smiling back. It feels good to know that my smile caused them to smile. Their smiling back could have been the first time they smiled in a long time. It could be their way of saying ‘thank you’ for brightening up their day.

Smiling gives me a sense of reassurance. On those days when I get frustrated, whether it is because of school or family, my best friend would give one of those ‘don’t give up everything is going to be alright’ speeches and give me a quick smile. I would laugh and smile back, knowing she did the same thing to me that I always did to her. I would feel a little better and feel like everything will be okay.

When I smile, I feel good inside. When I’m smiling with other people I care about, it feels even better. It brings me joy, relaxation and contentment. Smiling is a universal sign that everyone understands. When life gets down, I just take a deep breath and keep on smiling.