Fredy - Salt lake, Utah
Themes: injustice

This I believe

The United States of America is the wealthiest country in this world. In it are found the best athletes, the smartest, and the most advanced resources to help human kind have the greatest journey while habiting it. In addition to being a well-developed country, the unhealthiest people are found in it.

Back home in Africa, I had never seen obese people in my life. Never have I known that in the long run someone can get cancer by consuming too much can food. Food is overloaded here in the Americas. That explains why Americans have no fear in so what wasting food. Throwing food away is wrong and Americans should think about recycling it, instead of throwing it away.

My family values have thought me that throwing food away is wrong because millions in Africa die of hunger everyday. I was born in Liberia Africa and my family always had enough food. In as much we had food we were in an entourage of the hungriest people on the planet. As you all know, Africa is the home of the deadliest wars that tears apart families, leaving a lot of homeless and fatherless children without food or any means to survive. At home during dinner, my parents thought us that we should always serve us what we could eat. When we didn’t finish what was on our plates, the leftover was stored in a little bowl and kept in the fridge. The following day we were to take it out and warm it up in the microwave to eat it again whether the food was soggy or not.

I grew up with that mind set that throwing food away is wrong. When I move to the Americas it was hard for me to be an accomplice in what I believed was wrong.

Why is food wasted so much in the U.S? In all my years working in restaurants and grocery stores I have been so offended and hurt to see food being wasted and thrown away straight to the garbage. Why isn’t that given to animals, or kept for other purposes? Millions are dying in Africa, and I am sure home less people can use a loaf of bread that will expired the next day.

Living with Americans was the hardest for me. There was an instance where my roommate and I were cleaning the fridge when we found a dozen eggs with the expiration date of a month before. My roommate commanded me that I should throw them away but my conscience pressed so hard on my beliefs that I didn’t throw the eggs away. Because I had grown up with that belief for me throwing food away was as bad as hitting a girl or telling a lie.

I believe it is wrong to throw food away. The only time I think it is right is if the food is used for something else after. There are millions of people dying of hunger all around why isn’t that food given to them. Why can’t we take that extra money we buy for extra food and give it to those that will not throw it away? To throw food away is wrong and that what I believe.