danielle - old bethpage, New York
Themes: integrity

Danielle DiCapua

Lying is the perfect form of miscommunication. By lying you are misrepresenting yourself and giving others the chance to lose their trust in you and never count on you for anything.

When was the last time you lied and got away with it? I never get away with lying. It’s so easy to lie, and people do it every day but for some reason I’m just so bad. When I was in 9th grade, my parents went out one night and I decided to have a party. That night I promised my parents I was going out and that no one would come over. At 7:30 my parents left the house and around 8 all my friends started to pour into my house, laughing, dancing, just having a good time. Everyone left my house around 11:30 and began cleaning up my house and making it much cleaner than it had started. At that point I was tired and stressed, I decided to crawl into bed. When I woke up the next morning I was called into my parents room and asked the simple question, “So, how was your night?” I made up something stupid that I did. Then the dreaded question was asked, “Did you have people over last night?” I said no and swore on my life that I wouldn’t go against their trust like that, and some how they believed me. I remember walking away with a huge smile on my face and thinking to myself, “How the hell did I pull this off?” Then next day my mother confronted me and told me that one of her friends’ son, who just happens to be in my grade was dropped off at my house last night around 8 and then picked up around 11:30. There I was, standing in front of my mother caught in a lie with her screaming at me, one for having a party behind her back, and two for lying to her face. Our trust at that moment was broken. A sign of disappointment came over her face and I went weeks without talking to her and looking her in the eye. My mother was so upset with my actions that she started treating me differently, began to act cold and distant. I realize that in by lying to my mother I misrepresented myself, I made her lose trust in me, she had no choice. I cannot blame anyone else for my mistakes. The way my life flows is how I want it to. I, myself make all the major decisions and I must be ready for whatever the outcome may be. By misrepresenting myself my mother was no longer able to recognize me. The person I am was not who I was then. I was grounded for 3 months for my lying and the trust what was then broken is still being restored.

Some people think that a simple lie can never hurt anyone, and feel that it’s just easier to lie than simply tell the truth. But the fact of the matter is that there is never a reason to lie; it just seems to get people into more trouble then they started with.