David - Plainview, New York

Worn out.

This morning I picked out a red shirt, blue jogging pants, and white socks. Why those particular clothes? Because they were the ones atop of all of the other clothes in my dresser, usually I never think twice about what I wear. In fact, I make it a habit to never spend any more than the minimal amount of time and energy in choosing what to put on.

My parents are personally under the superstition that people will judge me greater or lower depending on my outfit. Well at least that’s what they tell me, the truth is that they are afraid that they’ll be judged, which is fine. I personally don’t know nor care if anyone judges me, I’m not that kind of person, and I feel that this allows me to be more at ease and less stressed as I go about life.

But back to clothing, I do not particularly enjoy dressing each morning but I do it because I have to. I feel that clothing’s purpose, and probably its original intention, was to merely provide warmth to humans and guard their skin from the sun. There are probably other reasons as to clothing’s original invention, mostly sexual in nature, and these too are valid reasons. However, what clothing has morphed into throughout the years, well actually it happened very quickly, is a very lavish vein waste of time. This occurred due to man’s natural desire to affirm himself positively through artificial means.

How others chose to dress themselves is no business of mine, nor is how I dress anyone else’s. Now before you get the wrong idea let me say that I dress very plainly. I don’t go shopping for clothes with my parents, I let them be in complete control of what they buy for me to wear. My one requirement is that the clothes fit. The reason I don’t go with them is that in my mind choosing my clothes would be hypocritical, and as I’ve said a waste of time. I have heard that Einstein wore the same clothes every day, his reasoning is that he preferred to use the creative energy he dedicated to clothing towards actually creating. While I by no means mean to compare myself to Einstein, I feel that his philosophy towards clothing can be applied to me or to anyone.

So I wear what my parents bring home, so far this has been mostly long sleeved shirts and jogging pants. But if they were to one day bring home nothing but chaps and a red cape, I would wear them just as easily. Every morning I pick out the clothes that are atop of the drawers, and until I wrote this essay, had never thought anything about it.