Colleen - Jupiter, Florida
Themes: children

Like Peter Pan, I believe in never growing up. As you grow older you can’t enjoy cartoons, or find the news even the slightest bit boring. Aren’t adults more sure of themselves and where they’re going? My older sister hated going door to door for girl scouts or school, she always was afraid that she’d get turned down or people, would be mean to her. I am three years younger then her and quite often she would send me to knock on doors and ask if the person inside would like to buy some chocolate to support my school. Now, three years later I find myself just as hesitant as she was. Am I growing up?, I never thought so, it always seemed to me that as the years passed I acted less and less the way an adult is supposed act. But I still enjoy cartoons and I still find the word “booger” funny. But now I hate going door to door, and perhaps, I hate growing up. It seems to me that the older some one is the more they seem to be in desperate need of a little fun.

To many “growing up” is a right of passage, it’s the point where they’ve gained wisdom, poise and a sense of purpose. All too often we lose so much more then we gain, we loose our innocent carefree attitude, or our confidence that everything is okay, as we grow older we are more and more prone to panic, or stress, and angry outbursts. As we grow older, life is no longer fun, it becomes a constant stream of tedium dominated by a 50 hour work week. Where did all the laughs and smiles go? Did they go the same place as Bugs Bunny and Candy Land? Are they crammed in the back of some filing cabinet? Why do we have to grow up – as kids we enjoyed just about everything, taking it all in stride, as adults there is no stride – only an exhausted shuffle. The only thing keeping us from stopping is the knowledge that all the stress and worries will eventually catch up with us. This doesn’t mean that we should never grow up, or that we must choose between being children or adults. Choosing between the two means deciding between a life scheduled by our parents, or a life scheduled by our boss. We need to grow up enough to control our lives, and stay young enough to enjoy it. We need to find a middle ground in which we are neither engineers, nor hooligans, but where we are people with names and personalities, who have, things that can relive us of the tedium that is adulthood.

What is comes down to, is that while we do have to grow, we don’t necessarily need to grow up. Instead we should be growing in every possible direction.