Colin - Tucson, Arizona

“This I Believe”

Destiny. This is what most changed my life. Some may say that there is no such thing, but if it ever happens to you, you will understand. They say it comes in many different forms and in many different ways. In my case, destiny came in a way I never saw coming.

My first winter formal was one year and nine moths ago. Truly the premiere school social event of freshman year. Probably the most anticipated social event for anyone’s freshman year for that matter. During the school year leading up to that unforgettable night, I was dealing with the biggest drama in high history first hand. Fitting in. Coming out of a middle school that was not in the same district, meant that I knew a grand total of zero people entering my first year as a high school student. Lucky for me though, I was able to meet a great friend within the first week of school. But this was not your ordinary freshman buddy who is just as clueless about things as you are. This friend was a girl. A sophomore girl.

This sophomore treated this freshman guy like an upperclassman. As if I fit right in with all the rest. She made me feel like gold. Is it obvious yet that I liked her? Through out the year we were very close friends and it both seemed that we liked each other very much. So I thought we should put that to the test, and see whether or not the “high school relationship” would be able to work. So we decided to go into winter formal together as friends and determine whether or not coming out of formal would produce a different status. But nothing prevailed that night between us, as for some strange reason she wanted nothing to do with me the whole night. I decided not to let it ruin the night so I decided to go out onto the dance floor by myself.

Here is where I bumped into Allison and her best friend who also happened to be named Allison. This was a girl that I had met at a previous dance earlier in the year. I asked her to dance just as a friendly gesture, which she accepted, but only for a short while. She quickly (but intentionally) decided that she had to go do something with someone off of the dance floor, which left myself, and her best friend Allison standing there on the dance floor. Although I had never seen this Allison before, it was not hard to tell that she was beautiful. I suppose to make the most of the situation; I heard the words fly out of my mouth. “Well, we can dance together if you’d like.” Expecting to be turned down, I watched her stare at me for a few moments before saying “sure that would be ok”. We ended up dancing song after song, never getting tired but nonetheless having a fantastic time. We literally danced the night away. I knew I had met someone perfect.

Leading up to that fantastic night, there were so many other possible outcomes that could have prevailed, but that is why I believe in destiny. A week later after spending a lot of time with Allison and getting to know her I did ask her to be more than just friends, which she greatly accepted. Destiny is what drew me to her. Allison and I are still in a wonderful healthy relationship today, and will be hitting our 2 year anniversary this coming January.