Britanie - Wellington, Florida

“Life has to be less than instantaneous if you want to enjoy it more.”

Hurricane season means house damage and living without power. Without technology being readily available at this time, people get impatient and moody making it a very stressful situation(s). At this day and age, we want things instantaneously, right here right now, and detest having to wait for something when they know there is a faster way to achieve it.

Our generation is like instant oatmeal that you buy at the local market. We want to be able to just add water and achieve what we want. It would aggravate one to have to buy the multi step oatmeal when they know they could be buying the one step, faster making oatmeal. We don’t want to wait even if we know waiting will make it more worth while. Our generation, is much more dependant, greedy, and demanding with technology, that when this technology is not available, everyone gets pissed as it as though the whole world is going through that “time of month”.

When someone notifies others of an incoming hurricane, the initial reaction is not “Oh no. I will have to pay a lot for house damage,” but rather “Oh no, I hope we don’t lose power again.” Just here in itself shows how much, as a whole, the world relies on technology. This time could be spent sharing stories by candlelight, reading, playing board games, and really getting to know your family or friends, however people would much rather search the web, go on myspace / facebook, or play Xbox, Playstation, or the Wei. I find it disappointing and irritating how much our lives are spent on machines invented to make things accessible faster and how little time is spent enjoying the good things in life. Personally I feel that when you have to wait longer for something, the moment when you receive is much more memorable, and worth while.

Due to the fact that we view technology as something that is always and should always be there, rather then a privilege, when we are put in the situation where it is not accessible right away, it is barely tolerable, and I know this isn’t how it should be. This dependency on the constant quick accessibly of things, I believe is an issue that is plaguing our society and is leading to many other issues such as dependency, as more indirectly, obesity. Technology is a necessary evil that we do need in our lives, but are currently making it BECOME our lives. This situation, I believe, should be monitored and according corrected for, life has to be less than instantaneous if you want to enjoy it more. This I believe.