Kelsey - Bonita, California

Buttitta 1

Kelsey Buttitta

M. Weigle

English 115

November 1, 2007

I believe in brotherhood throughout communities. In a tragic event, like the recent wild fires, you really see citizen’s true colors. Just because someone does not live directly next to you does not mean they can’t be your neighbors too. I believe that all of San Diego county could be considered neighbors, and neighbors should be there for each other, especially in a time of crisis.

The past week was hard for everyone in San Diego and other parts of Southern California. The fires were spreading at crazy speeds, new fires were popping up everywhere and city after city was becoming evacuated. It was really frightening and eye opening.

My family lives in Bonita close to San Miguel where mandatory evacuations were occurring because of the fire on Proctor Valley Road. We packed up our important things just incase we had to leave. What surprised me throughout the week were all the phone calls my family and I were getting. It was nice to hear from the people around different parts of the country who cared enough to call to see if our family was okay. Even the people on my street all spoke and discussed the situation, although some we have never even talked to before. One day I was watching the news when I heard a story of a man in North County. He was a man whose street was evacuated and fires creeping upon them. He decided he was going to do more than watch his street burn to the ground on tv, he was going to help try to stop it. It ended up that his house was last on the street and least likely to burn. This amazed me. This man risked his life not for himself, but his family and mostly for his neighbors. If this is not true brotherhood then I don’t know what is. More people in the world should be like this man.

Tragic events really bring out the good in people. Maybe that man could not save all the houses from burning, but the fact still stands. He risked his own life for others. It should not have to take a crisis to create nice people. Brotherhood is something everyone should believe.