Cathy - Pataskala, Ohio

My Hero: My Mother

I believe my mother, the strongest person I know, is a hero. Even when times are at their worst and all she wants to do is break down and cry, she continues to be strong in order to keep my family strong. When my father broke his back and could no longer work, my mother started working two jobs and is still working at both jobs, in order for my family to survive. After working a long twelve hour shift, my mom will take my grandparents to the doctors, when all she wants to do is crawl into bed and never come out. She sacrifices a lot of her needs for the needs of her family, without any complaining. If I grow up to be half the woman she is I would be happy. She is my hero.

When I was growing up, I remember coming home from my small-town elementary school, crying my eyes out because I was made fun of in class. That day, after just getting my hair cut, I was walking in with confidence hoping that everyone would like my new look. I walked in to the classroom of about twenty kids, sat down in my chair, and waited to see if anyone would notice it. The teacher started taking attendance and called out my name; I said, “Here.” She looked around the room searching for me but could not find me. I raised my hand to let her know where I was. When she finally saw me she started laughing. She said, “I did not recognize your new haircut. I thought you were a boy.” The whole class started laughing at me and it crushed me. I came home crying and my mom asked what was wrong. After telling her the story she explained, “People will make fun of you in this world, but you cannot let it get you down. “ She always told me that whoever made up the saying, “sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me,” must have never been teased because most of the time words can hurt worse than anything. In the end it does not matter what people think or say to you, it is what you think of yourself. The next day, I went back to school, still upset, but I did not care what people said about my haircut, all that mattered was my new look made me feel good about myself.

Throughout the years of my childhood, my mom has taught me everything I have needed to know. She taught me to stand up for what I think is right, even if others think it is wrong. One of the most important things that my mom has taught me is that I can do anything I want; I just have to trust myself. This has made me believe that I can amount to anything I want, and because of this I have chosen to go to medical school. Without her I may have chosen the easy path and just settled for something I did not really want to do. Although it is going to take a lot of time and will not be an easy thing to accomplish, my mom has always taught me to reach for the stars.

My mother has made a huge impact on my life. She is the kind of mother who will get up after only three hours of sleep to bake me those forty cupcakes I need the next day for a school party. The day I went to school with my new hair-cut my mother made me face the people that teased me instead of hiding from them. Without her I would not be the same person I am today. She has made me into the strong person I am today and for that I am thankful. Without her I still might be letting myself believe I cannot go to medical school and be all that I want to be in life. With her I may be able to achieve many things in my lifetime. She has taught me a lot of wisdom throughout the years, and is always strong when I need her to be. For this I believe my mom is a hero.