Alexandra - West Nyack, New York
Themes: love

A Girl’s First Love

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Freshman year, February 14, 2004; could it be a more cliché date to ask someone to be your girlfriend? I have to admit, it was a little cheesy at first, but romantic; I actually had a valentine. I knew him as my earth science partner and friendly face I passed in the halls every day. He was sweet, sincere, and I can remember it was his bright blue eyes and vibrant smile that immediately attracted me to him.

Throughout the two and a half years, seven months and one day we dated, we spent most days together learning about one another, experiencing new things, laughing, dancing, and loving. Everything seemed perfect, but after two and a half years I realized that what we both needed was to gain our independence back more than anything.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Falling in love is one thing, but when it interferes with friendships and you realize that your personality has changed for the worse, a serious change must be made. I desperately wanted to spend my senior year regaining back my identity as Alex, just Alex, and I am working on it.

Only time can mend a broken heart and I have come to realize that by writing this essay, I can finally vent my feelings and let go. I can honestly say that I do not regret one minute of being with him since being in such a serious relationship really helped me to learn from my mistakes and grow as a person. After this relationship, I have seen who my true friends are; those who stuck by my side through it all. I think I am a really lucky person to have endured something very few high school students’ get the chance to experience. Although I will never forget all of the wonderful times we shared together and the love we felt for each other, the page has once again turned and this is just the beginning of a new chapter in my life.

Like I said, I have no regrets and I will overcome this with time. I believe that everything happens for a reason. As one door closes in relationships, another door opens in friendships. This year, I am looking forward to building new friendships and to salvaging lost ones. “People come into your life for a reason and leave in order for someone or something new to come in.” My aunt gave me this advice which helped me to realize that I will experience so many new things and there are endless possibilities of what the future has in store. Although life is a winding road of ups and downs, I am ready to travel it unafraid, with determination, confidence, and with a new outlook on life, thanks to all of the lessons I have learned from this experience.