Stephanie - Norwood, Ohio

Has there ever been a time in your life that you wished something never happened but it did? I have.

My name is Stephanie Prather and I’m fifteen years old. When I was nine years old my dad died of lung cancer. Before he passed away, he always told me that everything would be ok; he told me never to worry.

My family and I were at the hospital because the doctor told us that he might not make it through the night. When we walked into his room I could not help but cry. He said “Stop crying, I’m not going anywhere.” We sat with him for hours.

On the day he died, I was at school. We were called to the office and taken to the hospital by my teacher, Mrs. Reynolds. My sister and I knew exactly what was going on but we didn’t want to think about it.

When we got to the hospital my while family was there standing around his bed. It was so quiet when we walked in that when I whispered, “I love you” it sounded as though I shouted it. As we sat there, all of the memories we’ve shared together went through my mind. The good and the bad.

An hour or two went by in silence and then it happened, the beeping of the monitor stopped. I just sat there in shock for a minute then I realized I lost my dad and my best friend.

When we left the hospital that day, we knew he would never walk through those doors again. It was the worst day of my life.

It’s been six years now and Ill never forget him. Every year on his birthday we go to his grave and put flowers and just celebrate his life. We look at pictures and home movies of him. It’s not the same on Christmas and other holidays but I make the best of it because I still have my family to share it with.

No matter what happens in your life, take time to just remember all the good tines you’ve had. Even though some bad things happen, there’s always something good to come. This I believe