Emily - Norwood, Ohio

I believe that friendship is extremely important. I’m not talking about the occasional “hey” in the hallway at school. No, I mean the friendship you want to have for a lifetime. Someone who you can tell anything to and be sure that they would keep your secrets safe.

A really good friendship consists of trust, honesty, and understanding. Trust is important. You want to be sure that anything you tell them can be kept between the two of you. Honesty can only make your friendship better. Being honest and telling the other your real, true feelings helps you to understand how both of you are feeling in the situation, which leads you to understanding each other. It’s easier knowing how you both feel and accepting that. When you know how they feel about something that helps you know whether or not it’s a subject of interest for them.

I know for a fact, that all of these things are included in my relationship with my best friend. I trust her with everything. I can tell her anything, and expect her honest thoughts. We may be complete opposites, but that is why we are respectful of each other’s opinions. She may not agree with something I say or do, but she will tell me. She’ll explain to me why she does or doesn’t think what I did was right. Hearing her opinion on some situations makes me feel better, knowing that I’m not alone.

Many times, you will find people who have lost a really good friendship over silly, little arguments. Jessie and I argue. There’s no doubt about that. But we don’t let it break us apart. No matter if it’s a small bicker over something, or one where we just need a few days apart to cool down, either way, we are still best friends in the end. We are all human. We all make mistakes. Forgiving others for the mistakes made makes you a better person.

Friendships are important in life because no one wants to be alone when they need someone to talk to. So next time you and your friend are not speaking to each other due to something that happened prior, just know that you always want someone to be there in the end, and they could be slipping away, lost for no good reason.

This I believe.