Clare - Sheffield, United Kingdom

I believe that each person should live life at a pace that enables them to experience the richness of each moment – whenever possible!

As a post lady, I would trudge around ungrateful streets, lugging trolley after trolley load of mail. Most of it unwanted and most of it junk. There may have been the odd important correspondence I admit, but for the majority, the recycling bin was it’s destination! After six years of not getting any faster and feeling the heavy eyes of my manager land on me, every time I went to fill in my over time sheet – I decided it was time to call it a day.

The weight of the ever present clock that followed me around my route, was a heavy burden – as I always tried to beat it and never succeeded. I felt like a robot – or at least, that I would do a much better job if I was a robot!

Now I am feeling more like a real person, whilst caring for the elderly and disabled in their own homes. It is badly paid – even worse that the post – but it is worthwhile. It doesn’t involve rushing around and I am able to express more of who I am in relating to these vulnerable people.

I am not saying that everyone should give up or change their jobs if they are not completely happy. But I am questioning what work is really about. What are we made to be? How are we made to behave? What is important in our daily living? Should money and the pressure of business, really control so much of our lives and who we are? I suspect not, and I also suspect that I am not the only who thinks this way.

Maybe some people do flourish under pressure – we are all different – as we are so often told. But should this give people the right to impose this ‘desirable’ trait on to the rest of us?

My hope and prayer for everyone is that they have employment that uses their gifts and enables them to express their true selves. And that those of us who are slower and perhaps more philosophical in life, shouldn’t get left behind or under valued, just because we can’t run as fast as the next person. Maybe standing still, or walking slowly, is the best way to be sometimes; the best way to look with eyes that see, the best way to experience each moment, and the best way to genuinely relate to and engage with the people around us.

This I believe.