Erin - El Cajon, California
Themes: respect

When I walk into a library and vigorously search for my next exciting adventure, I have to narrow down my choices from the hundreds of books awaiting their next reader on the shelves. To be perfectly honest, I do judge a book by its cover and I believe everyone does. I believe that what is portrayed on the outside gives you a peek of what lies deep inside its pages. I also believe that this principal applies to people.

When we see someone walking down the crowded halls of high school, the streets of downtown, or in line at the nearest McDonalds we see a wide variety of hairstyles, make up techniques, and clothing styles. What we see on the outside leads us to assumptions about a person’s personality and morals whether good or bad. For example, if we see someone wearing four inch heels and a hot pink micro mini skirt, we already have pre conceived notions about their character. I believe that what you portray on the outside should be an accurate reading of character and should represent what morals and beliefs that you live your life by.

After I take a glance at the books cover image, I look at the reviews on the back cover; same goes with people. A lot can be said about a person by the way others view them. Your “reputation” is sometimes a distorted and shallow view of your complex character. But even if it is just a sketchy outline of you, people have the power to fill in the blanks however they choose. Usually your “reputation” is based on how you look and how you treat and respect others. It is your job to make sure that your “reputation” is a spot on reading of you. Do this by staying true to yourself twenty-four-seven, so that no one can get the wrong idea. Because whether you like it or not people judge you based on what other people say.

From the first day of school we are taught to not judge a book by its cover. As much as we would like to believe that we don’t judge people based on looks, we do; its inevitable. But I also believe that you have the power to change the image on your “cover”. You hold the power to change the way people see you as a person. You are the author and illustrator of your book and the story that lies inside.