nicole - poughkeepsie, New York

I believe that perfection is not what it seems to be. I believe that there is no such thing as perfection, though many strive for perfection their whole lives. I believe that perfection is too edified at a young age, which is why people think perfection is so ideal. I believe that many people strive for perfection only subconsciously knowing that perfection can never be achieved.

Could you imagine life without mistakes, no excitement, no exhilaration, and no enthusiasm to learn from one’s flaws and to try to overcome them? There is no way that a person could not have one single flaw with him or her, no way one could be “perfect”. The flaws and the mistakes we encounter make us human, they make life worth living. I believe that there is no such thing as perfection because there is no way a person could be ideal in all aspects of his or her life.

“Perfect” to many mean living out the “All American Dream”. The “All American Dream” means having the ideal career, having the model family, and living a wonderful life. To most this is just a dream, a stereotype put into their minds at an early age. A serotype of the American family who will never have problems. As children mature they understand that perfect is not what it seems to be, yet they still have that dream about their idealistic life. The model world in which they live would never have any problems, a world in which their lives would be “perfect”.

This leads into people living out their lives hoping, yearning to one day reach that ideal state. Many face the problems of today with the hope that they will one day reach their ideal state. All those who imagine this do know that sub consciously that this will never happen. They might be able to reach a level of overall happiness but there will always be some flaw, a problem which they can not ignore.

Perfection is not what it seems to be. Many spent lives looking for what can never be found, hoping, one day that this will change. Perfection is edified too much which causes many to yearn for the model life. Perfection is sought by many, and all those realize on some level that this will never be able to work, that there will always be some challenging flaw.