Sarah - Atchison, Kansas
Themes: love

I believe in the power of love. I believe that we can accomplish anything in the world if love is on our side. I believe that love has the power to help us get through our times our hardship and struggle if we put our faith in it. I have this belief because I must. I must believe in love or else I would be left to believe in nothing, and I’m not sure if I could survive that way at all.

Some people might disagree with this statement of belief. They might say that there are plenty of other things in life that can help us get through than just love. The idea of love is for the fragile and weak. These people would say that you can survive just fine in this world without truly loving another human being. But I would say that this statement is completely false.

I believe that our purpose in this world is to find another someone to love with all of our heart and soul. Our purpose is to unite ourselves with another who loves us just as much as we love them. By nature, we as human beings don’t like to be alone. We like to have some other form of comfort and assurance. Some don’t need this comfort as much as others, but I would say that I am one of those people who need to feel loved and cherished. I need to know that there are people out there who love me and want what’s best for me.

Now, if I was listening to this speech, I would be wondering why this eighteen-year-old thinks she knows anything about the power of real love. And my response to this is simple: I have experienced true love and know what it’s like when it’s gone. I don’t want any of you to think that this is some sappy break-up story, so let me make this clear: I have experienced true love and still experience true love every day. And when I say that I know what it’s like when it’s gone, I mean that in the most literal sense. I mean that the person who completes me and makes me whole has gone to the other side of the world for a while; out of contact, out of communication, but never out of my heart. And there are many times when I have felt close to giving up and just throwing in the cards, but I believe in the power of love. I believe that the love that I have will always be there, no matter how far the distance or how long the time gets. I believe that this love will give me the strength to wake up every morning and get through every day. I have this belief because I must. I must believe in this love, or else my life would be nothing.