Barbara - Madison, Wisconsin
Themes: love, race

I believe in the power of love to transcend difference. I believe that people, of all races, ethnicities and religions can love each other. I believe that those differences can be frustrating, exasperating, exciting and even funny.

My husband and I have been together for almost 30 years. We grew up 10 miles apart in the rural midwest. We attended similar high schools, have similar interests in literature, politics and entertainment. We value family over all else and are happiest when spending time with our children and grandson. Over the years we have become more alike. He talks a bit more and I talk a bit less than when we first met. I have learned to respect his silences and he has learned to accept my assertive language.

When people see us together, these are not the things about us that first come to mind. I am black; he is white. He was raised Irish Catholic; I was raised Black Baptist. Our life together is no more exotic than any other middle age couple’s, yet we symbolize hopes and fears beyond our control. I believe in the enduring power of our love to meet the challenges of both.