Lisa - Johnstown, Ohio

My Voice will be heard

I have what I feel is one of the most interesting jobs. I am a certified dental assistant in an endodontic (root canal) office. There is never a dull moment in our office. Patients are always coming and going out of the office throughout the day. Frequently patients ask me questions such as “Do you know if I will have any pain after the numbness wears off?” and “When do I need to return back to my general dentist?” and various other questions that are dental-related. However they tend to disregard my response that I give them, and turn to an older employee and ask them the same question. Which in turn they receive the same response that I had gave them to the question.

I believe one day my voice will be heard. One day I will not be overlooked because I am young. That people will listen to what I have to say because I am intelligent. The patients will not ignore me because I do not hold a degree, just yet.

I had attended two years, my junior and senior year in high school at the Licking County Joint Vocational School in the dental assisting program. I was one of the top students in my class. I have worked in our dental office for five and a half years. I am currently enrolled in college classes for dental hygiene to further my education. I am a very quiet, laid back person but I am very efficient at my job. I know that I have more then enough knowledge to answer any questions that the patients may toss my way. Yet the patients still question my knowledge, and ability to assist them in answering their questions.

I can not wait for the day when I walk across the large, open stage in my cap and gown. All those fears that patients will disregard me will blow away with the wind. The degree that I receive that day will prove to the patients that I am more than capable to answer, and handle any questions or problems that they might have. As they place that diploma in my hand, I will have a large smile appear on my face knowing that now my voice will be heard. I will know that now the patients will not be able to disregard me any longer.

Now once I have my degree my inner voice will be strong and no longer quiet. Those fears of being unheard will be chased away by my new found confidence, once that diploma is placed in my hand and hung on the wall.

I believe that one day others will hear my voice as loud and strong as I do now, and they will listen to what I have to say, not ignore me and push me to the side. Those days will be over, once I receive my degree in dental hygiene.