chelsea - arvada, Colorado
Themes: equality

What is Right

Even though we have developed into a society that has learned to accept people of different sex, race, ethnicity, and handicap disabilities, to this day there are still people who roll their eyes when they hear the phrase, “I believe in gay rights.” What makes a gay person so different from others?

I haven’t always agreed with same sex couples. I was around the age of thirteen when I began to realize and notice that not everybody liked the opposite sex. Growing up in a Christian home, knowing that the Bible opposes same sex couples, I wasn’t quite sure what to think or how to react when, I saw a same sex couple showing their love and affection for one another. I typically would either pretend not to see them or end up staring at them uncontrollably in astonishment. While noticing everyone else not only staring and pointing but they also mock and call them names. I know what it’s like and how it feels to be bullied and called names. When I was a little girl I used to get put down a lot, even by the ones I loved for being over weight. I still to this day remember almost everything they would say. I can’t imagine what it must be like having to live with the fact that you’re different from others, almost like having a disability that’s uncontrollable. Most people won’t welcome you and except the fact that you’re different from them.

My nerves already on the edge from the fear of starting another school my freshman year in high school that’s ten times the size of my last one, and not knowing anyone. I walked into one of my first classes of the day when I saw this cute boy who looked no different than any other. The teacher made the mistake of sitting us next to one another. The moment we started talking we had a connection, talking non stop every day. Soon we started hanging out together outside of school we became more and more inseparable as the days went on, we felt like we could tell each other everything.

This was when he told me there was a personal secret that he wanted to share with me. His secret was that he is gay and has found a boyfriend that he wanted me to meet. I was so stunned I didn’t no what to say, this was the last thing I expected him to say. In the end I am glad to have met him because it made me realize that it doesn’t matter if he’s gay or not, because it doesn’t determine who he is, and it brought us closer together.