Matt - Plainview, New York

Coach glasses. Check. T-Mobile sidekick. Check. Abercrombie T-shirt. Check. Guess jeans. Check. Look at the sheep; she blends in so well, makes me fucking sick. As I sit and stare at her I don’t see a confident, independent, young woman. I see a scared, thoughtless follower. I mean does she even know why she likes what she likes? Does she even care? Well I don’t.

What do I believe? The question has haunted me ever since it has been proposed. Every time I say I believe I eventually get off my high horse and say no I don’t. Who am I to sit here with some false preachy belief which I don’t always follow? See my problem is I am two different people; the kid who would love to fuck your girlfriend, or the extremely dignified intellectual promoting higher values. Either way I guess I am an asshole. As I sit in the halls of my school I see all. I sit and watch every

Laguna Beach wanabe. It makes me sick the way people don’t think for themselves; just follow the herd until the wolf finds ‘em. I guess that’s the only thing I am consistently passionate about, thinking for myself. So I guess I believe that you should believe. In anything or nothing just make sure it’s your belief. And just because you rock the “old school” punk band shirts doesn’t make you an original. You can be just as much a sheep as the rest of ‘em.

I never did understand the way it works. Who makes fads “in” or “out?” Is it one big conspiracy where culture is just sold to the masses not much different from the government’s propaganda team. If so I would love to find this elite group. I mean can I even blame them? They’re out there getting paid, unlike their customer base who are the ones doing the paying. It’s not as if they don’t know that they are full of shit, they do.The thing is, they know they can sell. I once got into a conversation with the selling type and he admitted to it. All he did was sell the appearance. Show the good hide the bad, therefore building a culture based on image, intangible and pristine. You know what, good for them! They are profiting off of the stupid people who I fucking hate, and you know what I don’t even care. Wait, yes I do! Or do I? You see what I’m saying with the whole split personality thing.

Damn I can really run off on a tangent sometimes. You know what else I believe? I believe I’m wasting my time. I mean there’s no way I’m winning this contest considering the nature of this essay. I just hope whoever reads this at the good old N.P.R can relate. I hope that you are just like me, because maybe you won’t feel as alone as I do. And maybe just maybe I can get you to believe, in anything or nothing just make sure it’s your own.