Colleen - Newark, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem

How often do we hear people say, “There just aren’t enough hours in the day” or “How Of all the valuable items in this world, I believe that time is the most precious. great it would be to have a time machine.”

Looking back, when I was growing up, time was not something I concerned myself with much. And I did not pay it much importance. When it came time for Christmas and my birthday, however, I wanted time to last longer. I would wake up before dawn and stay up past my bedtime. I would open gifts slowly one at a time. For me as a child, as with many other children, those were two important days. As we grow up time still is not a big priority to many people. As adults, life gets in the way it seems: children go off to college, parents are busy with work, and everyone stresses over not enough hours in the day to get everything accomplished. Many of us take time for granted and do not know how to manage time to the fullest.

I was one of those people; here I am trying to be “super mom” raising three children on my own and being both mom and dad really has pushed me rather thin: running them to and from school, to scout meetings, church and school activities, then trying to fix dinner, and get my school and house work done.

Then the good Lord gave me the ultimate wake up call. I had just turned the wonderful age of forty last November when my doctor told me it is time for the dreaded mammogram. I figured no problem. It’s my first one, only for the base line comparison. To my utter surprise, I got a phone call just before Christmas saying that my test showed a mass and I would need surgery.

Needless to say from that point on my opinion changed dramatically, and time had become just as precious to me as “the ring” was precious to Gollum. My first thought was of my children. I recall how my father died before I got married and he was not able to “give me away.” I didn’t call my friends a lot, go visit with my mom and sister, I was just too busy. It made me realize that I needed to stop wasting my time. I wanted to spend all the time I could with my family and making lasting memories became the issue of the day for me, from the ordinary every day homework help to the family game night and hope for a good family vacation. I learned to pick my battles with my children; after all does it really matter if the towels are not folded perfect. It’s important to make every minute count without over extending oneself. It was time to say goodbye to “super mom”.

Fortunately my results came back benign, but my belief of how precious time is will never change.