Nehath - Sammamish, Washington

I believe in the ticking of clocks. Each tick represents a second of life… either a second wasted or a second achieved. Sometimes, when I am too lazy to do anything I just sit on the couch listening to the somewhat soothing tick-tick of the cuckoo clock. Since I have nothing else to do while being lazy, I usually think of how fast the clock is ticking and how fast my life is going by. I mean, I remember my very first day of elementary school and now I’m in my first year of high school. Whenever I think about that I’m always like “wow… that was quick”.

My clearest memory of how fast life is going by happened about five years ago. Five years ago, I went to India for my uncle’s wedding. The day we reached India, my grandpa took me to go shopping for shoes. We bought shoes and the next day my family and I left for the wedding. Of course, because this was a wedding I had tons of fun and soon the time came for us to go back. When we got back to my grandparent’s house, we received a huge shock. My grandparents and one of my uncle’s had got into a car accident. None of them were in critical condition and my uncle had received the worst of the accident. I didn’t know that this event would change my whole life. The next day, I remember my grandpa calling me into his room, smiling, and giving me a bar of candy. The only thing I heard when I went into that room was the ticking of a clock… A few days later, my grandpa suffered a heart attack. Before I knew it, he had passed away. To this day, I remember the speed of the ticking clock and how fast life had fled since that day I went shopping for shoes with my grandpa.

The memory of my grandpa always makes me wonder when my life’s clock will start speeding up and whether I have achieved anything in my life. I spend most of my time sitting on my couch, too lazy to do anything but listen to the ticking of a clock and pondering about the past. I need to think more about my future, what I want to do in life, and who I want to become. Each second I spend thinking of my life instead of doing something in my life, is a second of my clock ticked away. Each tick slowly becoming faster as my life progresses, second by second, just like my grandpa’s clock had done that day, five years ago when he gave me a chocolate bar, smiling.