Kelsey - Lake Worth, Florida
Themes: hope

I believe in happy endings.

No.

I believe in the pursuit of a happy ending, because what exactly is the end? When can a person truly say their life is over, when they die? Death is merely a beginning, the start of something new. This brings up the question of whether or not a happy ending is truly possible. But that’s exactly why we continue to pursue it. It’s the journey that excites us, not the outcome.

Growing up I would watch old films with my mom, secretly wishing I could be just like the women portrayed. They were strong, beautiful and they had what I thought to be the perfect lives. Those movies would constantly reinforce the thought of everything falling into place, everything sorting itself out. Childhood Disney movies were a large influence on me as well; they pounded into my young, pliable mind the image of princesses waiting to be saved by someone other then themselves, which ultimately made me believe that if I could just wait long enough and be patient then my happy ending will come.

This idea was foolish, of course, because as I grew up I realized that my dreams wouldn’t be handed out on a pretty, silver platter, but I would have to work for them. This insight didn’t come quickly; it was like a slow build up of trial and error, of pasting together memories and events that would eventually build of the image of who I am today.

A person’s life is merely a collage or a mosaic being built solely upon a persons own experiences. No ones journey for happiness is going to be the same because no ones idea of happiness is the same. My life is a piece of unfinished art and the best part of it is that it’s all my own. Of course people have contributed their thoughts and ideas, a splash of excitement here, a dash of drama added in but ultimately the piece is my own whether the end result is happy or sad or anywhere in between.

My journey for happiness is my life and my life is my journey. In the end, no matter what the outcome is or what happened, I will feel content because at the end of the day I pursued my dreams with all of my heart. This I believe.