Madi - Boulder, Colorado

I have lived many places during my 16 years on this earth. Every single place I have settled into I have found a best friend. When I was living in Egypt, I attended a British school where I met Tamara. We became close friends right away. Soon we were dressed up on Halloween as Harry Potter characters, having sleepovers, riding horses around the pyramids, attempting to teach our dogs crazy tricks, memorizing lines for the annual Macbeth play, chasing the boys around in the playground game of “cops and robbers”, and most importantly, blasting the Spice Girls and dancing like there was no tomorrow.

After Egypt my family and I packed up for the islands of Java, in Indonesia. It was in Jakarta that I met my best friends Candice and Brianne. Candice was an expatriate from Texas; she had quite the attitude. This attitude led me to daring activities like freezing her brother’s boxers and hanging them on the Christmas tree. We also spent hours playing The Sims, watching TV, playing with her kitty and going shopping. My other friend, Brianne, was a cool Canadian who introduced me to the show “Friends”, taught me how to beat Snake II (a Nokia cell phone game), the importance of MSN messenger, the tricks to raising tree frogs and, most importantly, helped me acquire a taste for the rare delicacy of dry ramen in a bowl. …two years later we moved.

We found ourselves in Boulder, where I met my current best friends, Carly and Dasha. Dasha is the most unique person I have ever met, she also is Brazilian. Dasha and I argue, fight, talk about fashion, watch Oprah and trick or treat every single Halloween. Carly is the happiest girl I have ever met. It scares me sometimes how well she knows me. She understands everything about who I am and is always there for me when I need someone to talk to. She also happens to be one of the funniest people you will ever meet. She is a sister to me.

A friend is a person who understands you, knows you and accepts you for who you are. Throughout life you make so many different friends that shape you into the person you are. They are people you grow up with. They are unforgettable. They are your family. They are your life. I believe in friends.