Cade - Riverton, Utah

Who are your friends? Are they people you trust, or do you need to keep secrets from them in fear that they will tell? Are they people who make you a better person, or are they people who “just accept you for who you are” and just make you worse. Are they your friends because they like your possessions, or because you give them something that mindless possessions cannot replace? Are they really your friends?

When I was in the third grade I truly found out what it meant to have true friends. Until this point I only had one true friend, and that was Aaron Jaussi, whom I had been friends with since I was four.

In the third grade we had to have a substitute teacher for three months because our teacher was having a baby. I wasn’t very fond of this thought, especially since I liked the teacher so much, and the new substitute was just mean. I think because of this, and the fact that I saw magnifying glasses fascinating that I brought my really nice one to school one day.

I brought it thinking that this would be the coolest thing to play with during recess. I showed my friends and we started burning things, including each other. Even though it hurt, it was fun just thinking that we were doing something against the rules. When I saw that a kid, Jacob, was spying on us and I thought this would be a good chance to look cool in front of my friends. So I threatened to burn him and started to chase him down.

When the bell rang for us to go in we taunted this kid, and soon went inside. Later on in class I got called out into the hall by my substitute teacher, Miss Glacier. Jacob had told on me and she sent me and Jacob to the principal’s office to talk this incident over. When we got there I was very intimidated considering I was so small, and the principal was so powerful in his large chair. I saw how sad/upset this incident had made Jacob, and after he had given his side of the story the principal dismissed him. I was left there alone with the principal and he told me that I had done wrong. I apologized and left, sorry for what I had done.

I contemplated this incident and found that I had friends that may have been friends, but not the kind that would help me be a better person, and that my true friend(s), Aaron, was what I really needed in a friend. A person I could trust, and who accepted me for me, not for what I had.