Life is like a roller coaster

Amanda - Atlanta, Georgia

In my hometown of Atlanta, I always see someone struggling to get somewhere. If it is not a single mom getting her kids to school and making it to work on time, it is a homeless man on the streets trying to find some way to get by with only a few bills in his pocket he managed to find. To these particular people, life is somewhat of a struggle that seems endless. I believe life is like a roller coaster. There are always ups, downs, twists, and turns. However, through my own particular experiences, there is always a way to get off the ride.

Many years ago, when I was only seven or eight years old, my life changed forever because of my parents’ divorce. At that age, you never know what is going on until it happens. One morning during a normal school day, I was asked to write an entry about how my week was going. As I wrote, the only thing that came to mind was my parents’ divorce. In my journal that day I wrote, “My parents got a divorce. They are not married anymore. It makes me sad.” At that moment, I began wondering why this happened. Did I do something wrong? Is that why it happened? As I pondered these questions inside my mind, life still resumed the way it always does.

Over the years, I always wondered what my life would be like if my parents were still together. On so many occasions, I felt like something was missing; I guess that is what it was. It was not until later on in high school as I was cleaning my mom’s room when I came across my first grade journal entry again. As I read it for the second time, I realized I got through it because of the love and support my friends and family gave me. They were always there for me, as they still are today. I also realized some things happen for a reason, and this particular incident was one of them. If life, it does not matter how bad things may get. Yet, knowing there is always something or someone to help you through it is the key to living life to the fullest. No one can conquer life without experiencing a roller coaster. The challenges that I face in life to teach me strive, perceive, and to keep on going. It is like my mother always says, “Everything has way of working out for the best.”