Patrick - St. Louis, Missouri

The religion I believe in isn’t invested in the power of men, it isn’t in a figure that controls our way of life, and it isn’t in an all mighty god with a plan for each of us, but it a god or whatever you wanted to call him, to spin the universe into action. He now sits back and watches as we take our own path of life as we wish.

Hello, I’m Patrick McAvoy and I attend school of Chaminade College Preparatory School. I’m 18 years of age and a senior in high school. I’m writing this essay not only because I have to for school, but I’m glad I was assigned it because now I’m questioning even more about myself which is making me grow as a person. I’m an average kid, enjoy playing baseball, hanging out with my friends, having fun but mainly just living life.

The main event that has really changed my life was my mother. She changed my life in two big events that tested who I am. She was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was in 9th grade. It was a big blow to me, making me realize, as my father puts it, ‘No one promises you tomorrow.’ This is why I wish to live life not observe it. She has been alive and enjoying life for the last 3 years and we’ll know in another 2 years if the cancer is completely gone. That second event that changed my life again was because she told me when I was having a rough time with a break up and she told me, ‘The first person you have to take care of is yourself, otherwise you can’t help anyone or give yourself to anyone.’

Life’s experiences guide us to whom we shape ourselves to who will become. I have one core belief and that is human life is so valuable because we can grow, learn, and reflect on our actions. We can choose to either do right or wrong which is so important because it’s our experiences and how we reflect on them. We get to choose what we bring out of every situation we are placed in, in everything we do. Life is the core of my life, meaning that I think living is more important than anything, not just being alive and breathing but doing something with it. If you sit back and watch and just breathe, you don’t ever get to experiences all these feelings that go along with life, or the true growth process of our lives. I believe life is worth every second because I don’t know, nor do I have any proof, that it leads to something greater and I don’t want to miss on a chance of something amazing and greater now than risking the later.

The events that happened in my life have led me to find out who I am, what I believe and what I am made of. I have always been open to change and others peoples idea s because I want to know about them and be able to change throughout my life to either become a better person or understand how a person lives and how things guide their life which could make them right in their point of view.