Molly - Hampton, New Hampshire

I Believe

I believe in doing the right thing. Doing the right thing really makes me feel good and I would like to think that it makes the people around me feel good as well. I’m not saying that it is easy or that I am successful everyday in every situation, but each morning I wake up with the intention of choosing to do what is right.

Every school day morning when I go downstairs to have breakfast, there sits my brother. Now we don’t have one of those sweet brother sister relationships so I know that the meal may hold some challenges. As I descend the stairs I am thinking to myself, be cheerful, be nice. One day I sat down and smiled, he looked at me at let out a very loud fart. I immediately responded with “you are disgusting and sick!” The right thing to do would have been to ignore it and try to continue in a more positive direction. Ok, I was unsuccessful, but there have been a lot more times when I have shined.

One day my friends and I stopped for pizza at Dominos. I went in and picked up the pizza. When I got back to the car I realized that the casher had given me too much change. I went back inside and returned it. My friends thought I was crazy, but hey, if I hadn’t gotten enough change back, I would have gone back in and said something, so I did the right thing.

Another day I was so excited getting ready to go to a friends house for a party. Just as I was getting dressed I got a distress call from another friend. Her boyfriend had dumped her and she was devastated. It was tragic. What to do? I said, “hey let’s just have a girls night tonight.” She needed a friend. It was the right thing to do.

It’s not just the obvious things that I think about when I think about doing the right thing like not lying, cheating, stealing, and trying to be a good person. It is the little things in life too. When I am walking along my favorite stretch of the wall on north beach and I see a plastic bottle on the sidewalk, I pick it up and bring it to the next garbage can. When I am shopping in the mall and there is a shirt off the rack or a package on the floor in the isle, I pick it up and put it back in place. I try to give a warm smile and turn my head like “no big deal” when I see someone in an embarrassing situation. I try to not join in on caddy conversations, that is a hard one, even harder is pointing out that being mean is well, mean, and we shouldn’t be doing it.

My beliefs, like my life, are growing and changing. I do think though that doing the right thing is so basic, that it will be with me forever. So like I said, I might not always be successful, but when I am, it makes me feel good about myself, and may even be a positive impact on the people around me. This I believe.