Lauren - Boulder, Colorado
Themes: morality

“This I Believe”

I believe that every person should be genuine. You should never have to compromise by being someone else that you’re not. In every one of us we know who we are, where we stand, and what we will act like in certain situations and in front of certain people. It may not all be black and white to us but we know the difference. When you are not being or acting like yourself you know inside that it’s wrong. In the past I have had many friends who I knew were acting fake in front of certain people to seem cool or to get in with the “popular” crowd. After a while it is like they became that fake person and convinced themselves that that was genuinely who they were, but they were just getting caught up in all the fakeness and lies. After a while it seems that they could only surround themselves with other people who were fake, and people who would act differently to gain more friends and seem more likeable to everyone. They began to dwell on saying the right thing, wearing the right thing, and being seen with the right people, even if it wasn’t what they would normally do. I stopped being friends with people like that because I didn’t want to be friends with someone that was genuine part of the time and fake the rest of the time, it was like they were a totally new person, and it wasn’t the person I had become friends with in the first place. I look at those old friends now and realize that they aren’t as genuinely happy as I am even if they appear to be perfectly happy to everyone around them. I am glad that I surround myself with friends that are positive and genuine, that my friends accept me for me, and that I don’t have to pretend to be someone else for other people to like me. I believe that people should be genuine because it is the only way to truly be happy and to have real relationships. Other people will never know the real you if you don’t give them the chance, and you will end up being someone you don’t like if you don’t give yourself the chance. I hope to always stay true to myself and be the genuine me in front of other people because I would rather be disliked for being the true me then be liked because I act like someone I am not.