Luke - Boulder, Colorado

When I was only a small child I learned that laughter is the key to leading a happy and fulfilling life. I have always tried to do my part, by making people laugh, because if I can just make someone giggle for even one moment, than there is a chance I changed their day for the better. I know I have gotten through some of the hardest times in my life by making a joke about it just to lighten the mood, laughing about something can give you a different perspective on it.

My brother and I do not always get along, but we do have the same sense of humor, and when we joke with each other we have a great time. When my brother had a tragic accident, in which he was hit by a bus, I knew that just telling him that he would be alright would not cheer him up, but making him laugh would. We joked that he had tried to “tackle” the bus, and although my brother was in a lot of pain, he still managed to laugh. It made me feel great, because seeing him smiling after such a tragic event was very gratifying. I believe it made the process just that little bit easier for him. Laughter did not save his life, but it made it more enjoyable.

Laughing at someone else’s mistakes is easy, but being able to laugh at my own mistakes, is something everyone needs to be able to do. Usually when I get mad, it is for a stupid reason, and just being able to step back and laugh at myself is very valuable. Anger can easily be cured by a good laugh, being mad doesn’t make me feel good, but laughing does. When I am old and I can look back upon my life, I won’t remember all the times I was mad over someone stealing my seat or eating last piece of pizza. I will remember the “good times” when my buddies and I laughed and had fun.

Throughout my life I have realized that there are people who do not laugh, and they are truly missing out. Laughter brings people together, and gives people a different outlook on the situation. It is also a great way to forget my current problems and stresses. There is nothing better than when I laugh so hard, I can barely breathe, tears start to stream out of my eyes, and my stomach feels like it is going to rip apart. It does not seem too pleasant, but to me it is one of the greatest feelings on earth. For that small amount of time there is nothing on my mind, apart from Laughter.