Dana - Lafayette, Colorado
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in the powerful affect simplicity can have. A simple statement about a simple topic it may seem, but you can really make simplicity into exactly what you need it to be. Maybe I think that I need all of these things to make me happy; an iPod, a car, a cell phone, etc. etc. but when I think back to my favorite memories of my life, almost none of them involve purely material things. What’s most memorable to me is probably funny moments with my friends where we’re all laughing and I look around and realize I would be nowhere without them, or when I’m carving down a mountain on my snowboard with my best friend and realize that there’s nowhere else I’d rather be. Or maybe it’s when I’m driving home alone from work or somewhere else late at night when the rest of the world is already asleep, and my favorite songs are blasting through the stereo and I feel like I’ve never been more alive.

Now these are all pretty simple things if you look down deep to the core of what they actually involve. Just being with my friends around a campfire in the mountains and something funny happens is pretty simple, and while the technique and equipment you need to snowboard might be a little more complex, the actual process of riding down a snowy mountain on a piece of wood is so simple it’s almost funny, and how I could find any real meaning in a simple 15 minute drive home from work is pretty clueless, yet I wouldn’t change anything about any of these moments in my life.

And all though not everything in life is simple, and sometimes things get so busy and chaotic I don’t even have time to stop and breathe, maybe we all need those busy days and weeks to make us appreciate the simple things. Without them, I’d probably be pretty bored, and after a long day at school or work, which weren’t even necessarily bad days, coming home to a warm bed and having some time to relax and catch up with myself really feels like the best moment of all, as simple as it may be.