Nikita - 46526, Indiana

This I believe

I believe in the expression of Dance.

When I listen to the words of “The Rhythm is gonna get you” by Gloria Estephan to me it is the essence of what I consider dancing to be. I love to dance, and jump at almost every opportunity to embarrass myself with weird antics and exaggerated moves, on and off the dance floor. From the Dutty wine to the Shuffle, I have learned to cultivate the moves and make them my own. Dancing can take away my stress from the day, calm me from the pressures of the world; it has been my crutch when I felt that life was just too hard, while others may seek comfort through alcohol, drugs, food and family, I found solace in dance.

Ever since I can remember I would be dancing and making a goof of myself to just about any kind of music, and especially if I could get a laugh out of it. But there have been times when I have trained vigorously and wholeheartedly for dance recitals, so I could do my best and wow the crowd. But I know I can’t make a career of I, I would starve to death. When I dance it’s a form of exercise, expression and a hobby. I can spend lots of time learning a new move. I’m not saying I’ll be a pro at it, but I will be able to get the gist of it. I have even been known to come up with a few moves of my own the broke back, which has nothing to do with broke back mountain, it has definitely been a huge hit with my friends, to the wheelbarrow. And of course the occasional spirit fingers, one can never really go wrong with those.

I don’t like to hear when people say “I can’t dance” because it’s untrue. Everyone has their own style of dancing and they shouldn’t feel less of a person or embarrassed if they can’t master a certain move that should give them the opportunity to make it their own. Even though it may look awkward to others, don’t worry about what they think, just do you.

I think that my dancing makes up for some of my shortcomings. At times I can look very miserable and even bear no expression at all. I’m also not that sociable and very hesitant in making the first move to say hello or introduce myself. But when I dance I’m happier and I’m not sure if people can tell or notice that, but that is when I’m able to come out of my shell and show the other side of who I am. Also people come and dance and even talk to me, which is really nice. I get mixed reviews when I dance. At times people are either intimidated, other times it was just very bad and I looked CRAZY, but I think it’s healthy to be a little crazy at times. Minus the follow you around, break into your house and steal your toenail clippings, and make a voodoo doll out of them. I just wouldn’t do that. But there is probably a dance to that ritual.

At times my dancing has gotten me into trouble a good example would be in primary school. My school had the annual church fair and there was one activity in particular that I really enjoyed. We would all get into a circle and would get a chance to dance with a partner. As the music started playing I started to Cha Cha, and somehow incorporated the butterfly move into the dance. My partner swatted at me and said “Gyal wha you di try do! Please stop!!” That individual is hater. She was probably just jealous. I’m not saying I’m lord of the dance or to be political correct Lady of the dance. I find it easier for me to express myself when I dance, and to put it plain and simple it’s just really fun and makes me happy.

I believe in dancing because I love it.