Ola - Menomonie, Wisconsin

Life waits for No one

“In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” These are my favorite words that my grandma told me when I was younger. Her words means we can’t dwell about the past, we have to move on because life waits for no one. When I’m going through something very difficult in my life, I always think of her words and it helps me move forward.

Throughout my 20 years of living on this earth, I’ve learned that life can be hard, but it’s the way we deal with obstacles that builds are character. I used to be the type of person that when something terrible happened to me, I wouldn’t let it go, I would just dwell on it. This negative thinking kept me from growing as person and moving on. One day my grandma told me that life goes on and time waits for no one. When she told me this quote, it woke me up and made me realize that I needed to let go of the past and move on.

I never realized how true this saying was until I lost my grandma. At that moment, I wanted time stop. I wanted school and work and everything around me to just stop and grieve with me. My grandma was the greatest person in the world, and it was just so hard losing her. My grandma was a big part of my family, she helped raise my little brother and sister, and me. She would talk to me every day and help me out with my problems. She was like my second mom.

Losing her was like losing my mom. I was really depressed for a couple weeks. I took a couple days off work, I lost my appetite, and I lost my will to continue on with my life. But life continued just like my grandma said it would. Her words came back to me and helped me overcome the depressive state that I was in. I kept telling myself that I had move on and let go. I know that’s what my grandma would have wanted. She would of told me life goes on no matter how difficult the situation is and it will pass, and you just have to continue and learn from it. Time waits for no one and I was no exception. As much as I wanted time stop it didn’t. I would eventually have to continue with my life. I had to go back to school and work because school and work don’t stop because you lost someone you love. As time went by, I slowly let go of the pain and kept moving forward. Even though my grandma is gone I’ll never forget her and she will always be in my heart no matter how fast life passes me by.

Life has thrown me very difficult situations and the most difficult of all of them was the loss of my grandma. My grandma was very wise and she taught me a lot. I try to live my life by my grandma’s words. It has helped me through the most difficult times in my life and that is why I believe “life truly goes on”.