Destination: Laughter

Katie - Mendota Heights, Minnesota

“The most wasted of all days is one without laughter”–E. E. Cummings. Something that truly defines who I am is my laugh. I can recall in the fifth grade when a boy in my class told me I laughed like a duck. Ever since then my laugh has grown to rather large dimensions, and I am often heard before seen. I love everything about laughter, but my passion for it lies deeper than the instant feelings of joy it creates. Laughter has given me a greater appreciation for the little moments in life that make me smile. I value laughter because it sparks my optimism and because of this, has shaped my outlook on life. I believe that laughter offers continuous opportunities for happiness.

Nothing feels more amazing to me than a great laugh attack. To me, the best kind of laugh is one that bursts out of my throat and almost blows the ear drums of the person standing next to me. My body senses vertigo and instantaneously drops to the floor and begins rolling around. At this point my laugh has become silent and as soon as I can breathe normally again, another one comes pouring out from the pit of my stomach. This state of existence is my happy place, my euphoria. Laughter is my sweet escape from reality.

Time flies. I believe that laughter slows it down, and sometimes even makes it stop. When I laugh I have no sense of time. All I think about is that exact breath, that exact moment. Laughing provides liberation in such a way that at that moment, I have never felt better in my whole life. Any stress or worry burdening my soul is uplifted and I feel as though I could accomplish anything.

I believe that God created laughter as a means of instant gratification. Laughter makes me feel good about myself from the inside out. When I laugh in public, I often get strange looks. The funny thing is that I do not usually notice because I laugh with my eyes closed. People can frown upon me or think I am obnoxious and crazy, but the truth is, I do not really care. Laughter makes me numb to outside judgmental views. Laughter has given me a carefree attitude. Imagining a day without laughter is like imagining the world without the sun: dark and depressing.

I have become a more positive person because of my laughter. If I never realized the beauty of laughing at myself, I would be a very uptight person. I am human. I make mistakes. I encounter stress. But, I do not worry about it. I laugh my troubles away because life is too short to be anything but happy.

People tell me that laughter actually lengthens your life and because of this, I sometimes think that I might live to be 200 years old. I also believe that facial lines created by laughter in the course of aging could not be more beautiful.