Dad vs. Superman

Jackie - Menomonie, Wisconsin
Themes: family, gratitude

When I was younger my heroes were my dad and Superman. My dad is still my hero to this very day, but Superman has faded out of the picture. I consider my father to be one of my heroes because he has been such a large influence in my life. He has been the one who has taught me right from wrong, how to still maintain courage when I feel like hiding in a hole in the ground and how to continue being me when I feel the pressure of change from my peers. My dad is everything I want to be in life.

There are many ups and downs in life, and some people shut out the world because they are afraid of change and of what might happen to them. Not my dad. He is brave, and is willing to do anything for my happiness. Not only mine, but also for our friends and our family. He loves his life and deals with changes and struggles in his life in the most unsurpassed way. Heroes are best described as selfless, brave and often inspiring. My dad depicts all of those qualities, and more in his everyday life. He is the hardest working man I know, and keeps a smile on his face every day. Optimism is key when describing my dad, my hero.

Some people may want to have super human strength or be able to fly like Superman but one of the greatest gifts a human can possess in life is to be an optimist. My father possesses this great quality and shares it with everyone around him. When you are around my dad you can’t help but feel happy and cheerful. People are naturally attracted to him because he makes them feel good about life and doesn’t let them dwell on the dilemmas life bestows on them.

Heroes can be fictional characters like Superman, Batman or even Wonder Woman that we look up to, but in the end, they are so unrealistic we can never obtain any of their super-human qualities. I’m happy to say my hero, my dad, is realistic and is not one of those made up characters. He is living proof that there are good and realistic people in this world that you can look up to.

We are quite oblivious to the ordinary people of the world that are, in fact, the true heroes. I believe heroes are around us and are hard to find these days, you just have to dig a little deeper and see how much good they give out to the people surrounding them. Even though my father may not be a man able to fight with courage without fear of death, destroy the enemy within a blink of an eye or fight using his own body strength or superpower like Superman, he is, and will always be my hero.