The Chances I Take

Trevor - Farmington, Minnesota
Themes: carpe diem

Before I learned how to walk, I learned how to skate. Hockey has been a part of my life since I was two years old. The sport of hockey has been in my family for generations. My grandfather coached my dad and then my dad coached me. One of the most legendary players in the sport of hockey is Wayne Gretzky. He once spoke these words that I have lived my life by and strongly believe in: “You miss one hundred percent of the shots you don’t take.”

I try to incorporate Gretzky’s words into my everyday life. I believe that in life, we are given many opportunities to be successful; if you do not make the most of those situations and risk failing, then you will regret it later. Taking chances is a huge part of my life. I believe that in life you can not be afraid to go after what you really want.

Last fall, I went out with a bunch of my friends one Saturday night. I met this amazing girl and the next morning I really wanted to see her again. I was afraid to call her because I did not think that she would be interested in seeing me. I remembered this quote and called her anyways, taking the chance that she would reject me. I am so glad that I did because since that day we have been happy together for over a year now.

I play by the same motto every time I step out onto the ice. I am not afraid to take a hit or deliver one. Every time I come down the ice, I go the extra mile just to take the shot. I am not afraid to risk missing because I know if the puck goes into the net then it was well worth taking the chance.

I believe in the words of The Great One. It is important to not be afraid to take chances in all aspects of life. It may be safe to never try because then you will never fail; however, you will never succeed either. This is why I make it a point to take risks every chance I get. Even if I fail, at least I can say I tried.