Do Not Be Afraid

Kelsey - coon rapids, Minnesota
Themes: family, fear, illness

Everyone knows cancer. Think about it. Almost every human being on this planet has been touched by the dark shadow of what we call cancer. This mysterious, dark creature has reached our mothers and fathers, grandparents, friends, co-workers, neighbors and millions of people who we haven’t met. I believe that God created this “monster” we call cancer to not only scare us, but to explore our strengths and our faith in Him.

When I was in the second grade, I came home to my mother sitting quietly at the kitchen table. The wrinkle in her forehead and the frown in her eyes alerted me something was troubling her. She informed me softly that she had breast cancer, but Mommy would be “okay.” I didn’t know what this “cancer” entailed, but I cried because she cried, and I was scared because she was scared. No one could tell me how this monster got a hold of my Mommy, and how I would get rid of it for her. The only explanation I got was that it was a cluster of bad cells that were being mean to her body. She told me to be strong, so I tried to be strong. I wore hats because she lost her hair, and I decorated our hats with elaborate puffy paints and glitter so we could feel beautiful together.

I believe that God creates monsters so that human beings can overcome their own monsters. Breast cancer; or what I refer to as the “monster,” helped me to realize what a great mother I have. Although I was very young, the “monster” made me realize that I am a blessed little girl that has a mother that is tough enough to survive this malicious creature. I believe that God knows that we are strong enough to fight through our monsters and find our way back to him. “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave nor forsake you,” Deuteronomy 31:6. I believe that everyone has their own cancer, if it has not directly touched them or a loved one; they have their own form of their internal monster. The Lord says do not be afraid. Everyone knows cancer.