Following His Footsteps

Jacque - Almena, Wisconsin

Emily Potter once said, “Heroes never die. They live on forever in the hearts and minds of those who would follow in their footsteps.” In my opinion my father is my hero. I believe a hero is someone who makes sacrifices for the good of others. He has helped me through some of the most difficult times of my life. When I was a young child, I lost my mother due to cancer. It was a hard time for both of us, but my father never showed weakness. Together we helped each other battle through the crisis of being a single parent family. Even though my father was scared, he never let his feelings show. This made me feel safe because I have always trusted my father and knew he would never let me down.

Heroes are always strong, and never seem to wear their emotions on their sleeves. They seem to always have an even keel look about them wherever they go. No matter how bad the situation got, my father never seemed to let problems bother him. A hero takes charge and shows people the correct path to choose without any hesitation. My father has always been there to guide me down the path of life. He has always encouraged me to be outgoing in sports and other activities, but never pushed me too hard to where it was a annoying. When life got tough he was always there to tell me that things will get better, just keep giving my best effort. A hero is someone who is always working hard to make things better for the sake of others. My father has worked hard his whole life supporting the family he loves. He owns his own concrete business and it is very demanding work. His work ethics has earned him an honorable reputation in his line of work and has made him highly respected throughout the area. He is always willing to do favors for any of his friends or family without thinking twice about it. He is always putting others before himself living up to his reputation of being a great friend.

Finally a hero is someone who is not all perfect; they may have some flaws because they are human. My father is someone who has a couple flaws but that is what makes him a human being. At times he lets his indulgence of alcohol get the best of him. This causes tension within the family but we always seem to overcome the problem. It is the struggles that we have to deal with that make us who we truly are. A hero isn’t someone who is famous or miraculous. He or she is an extraordinary person that puts themselves on the line for the good of others.