What Mountains Have You Had to Overcome in Your Lifetime?

Scott - Menomonie, Wisconsin

Mountains are beautiful and majestic. Mountains are also rugged and dangerous. Life is a mountain, filled with switchbacks and rock slides and few straight paths to the top. Knowing that God was with me, no matter what, helped me to climb my Mt. Everest.

Back in the fall of 2001, during a high school football game, I had the misfortune of breaking both the bones in my right leg. A few weeks after breaking my leg, and after having a rod and four screws put in, there was a problem. The doctor said I had a major staph infection and that they had to operate right away. What I didn’t know was that the staff infection had killed the skin in the front of my lower leg. He said he needed to replace the dead tissue with new skin and muscle. This “new tissue” would come from skin off my right hip and a muscle from under my arm. The doctor also needed to replace the bone that was destroyed from the infection. And to add insult to injury, I was going to need another rod; and this time they were going with six screws instead of four. “What did I do to deserve this?” I asked myself. It felt like my mountain was getting steeper with every passing day. Knowing that God was with me through those hard times is what kept me going.

After five surgeries to clean out the infection, I was ready for my big surgery. I remember asking God to help the doctors during the surgery that they would do their best and that my leg would look great. It took over fifteen hours to complete the surgery. I woke up in horrible pain. I remember looking at my body and crying. My leg looked as though someone had sewn a rib-eye steak to it, and my hip looked like something out of “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.” I ended up staying in the hospital for 36 straight days until I was able to walk. I prayed everyday for strength and healing. God was there every step of the way.

It took a little over a year to heal my leg from start to finish. I don’t’ blame God for what happened. I just thank Him for helping me get over that mountain in my life. I believe that God is with me, through the good times and the bad; with every step I take up and down the mountains of life.

Works Cited

English Adventures. 31 Oct. 2005. 31 Oct. 2007 .