The People Who Have Changed My Life

Nicholas - Menominie, Wisconsin

“A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles” (Christopher Reeve).A hero to me is someone who works hard and has an excellent drive and ambition to succeed in life. There is no particular hero in my life, there are only heroes. The biggest heroes in my life are my parents and my girlfriend. All of these people put themselves last; behind everyone else in their life only because they want the best for the other people first.

My parents did not go to college and they struggled financially. I grew up in a trailer until I was about eight. My parents wanted the best for my brother and me, so they worked as hard as they could and saved up all they could because they were sick of our living conditions. They wanted a newer and better house that my brother and I would be happy in. At that time, I really did not care because I wasn’t really thinking of the future; but my parents were. They now live in the home they’ve always wanted and are happier than ever. I now realize that if it wasn’t for their actions and their hard work, we might still be living in not as nice home and eating food that we really didn’t like, or even worse, I wouldn’t’ be in school. It is now my turn to think about the future and that means working hard and thinking about what I can do to make my parents proud.

When it comes to my girlfriend, she also has the traits of a hero. She works anywhere from 30-36 hours every week and takes an average of 17 college credits every semester. She does this only because she loves her job and wants the best for her future and the future of people that she loves. She wants to be known for her hard work and her ambition to succeed. Her brother recently had his second child, so she has been baby-sitting both of his children whenever he isn’t able to. They cannot afford a sitter so she watches the kids for free. She puts herself and her schoolwork last, even though she really shouldn’t.

A hero to me is a person who puts others before themselves and not only thinks about the past and the present, but also the future. The heroes of my life have changed my entire outlook of life. Because of them, I am a happier person and my ambition to succeed in life has grown. There are many other heroes out there and I am sure they have the same effect on other people they encounter. The world is a better place because of these fantastic individuals.