Faith - Decatur, Alabama

When I was ten years old, I went to a church summer camp that gave me new insight on how I lived my life. The theme that year was: “Finding Your Place In This World.” We were taught that no matter how small we were, we could do anything we put our minds too. I believe an individual has the power to change the world, as long as they have ambition.

When I got home from camp that summer, I was ready to change the world. However, it was easier said then done. Nobody at my house ever encouraged me to do something great so I gave up. I thought that I was just a small girl with problems the size of mountains and faith the size of a grain of sand. I figured, “I’m just one person. What difference can I make in this world; especially as a child. I’m not Superman, I can’t change the world. Some things are just as they should be.”

My lack of ambition continued to diminish until last summer. I went on a mission trip with my church to the Appalachian Mountains for a week. The town we were at had a 15% literacy rate out of five thousand people and had no clean water. Keep in mind that we were still in America; Tennessee to be exact. The people on my mission team and I were supposed to put a new roof on an elderly woman’s house and teach her about Jesus.

During the week, the elderly woman would come outside and talk, but only for a few moments. She seemed lonely and shady. Throughout the week we continued to talk to the woman about Jesus. I could see a glimmer of hope in her eyes, and decided to make it my personal goal to bring her closer. She seemed unwilling at first, but every time we talked, she would ask more questions about my personal faith. Even though she pushed us away sometimes, she continued to talk to us about our experiences with Christ.

At the end of the week, when we said our good-byes, the elderly woman came up to our youth director and I. “I know now that Jesus exists because I can see it in her eyes,” the elderly woman said pointing at me.

At that point I realized that I had accomplished something great. Not only had I helped put a new roof on this woman’s house, I had brought her closer to Jesus. That is something that will change her life forever. I also realized that I had regained my ambition and now knew how much of a difference one person could make in someone’s life.

I do know now that an individual can accomplish something great as long as they have ambition and never give up.