Bobbi Jo - Boulder, Colorado

I Believe…

Some say miracles only happen in story books, I believe that they are real. I have witnessed a miracle, the kind of miracle where everyone says “it would be a miracle if they could make it through.” And trust me I never used to believe in miracles.

About a year ago I went to Panama city and the Panama Jungle on a mission trip for a month. Honestly, I really didn’t want to go. I wasn’t too big on the whole religion thing, but hey, away from home for a whole month, count me in!! We traveled specifically to help the children of Panama and the village that we stayed in.

There was an old woman who lived on the very top of the hill in Boyala who had been sick with a terminal illness for about a year. Every time we went to visit her, the look on her face saying “help me” would stick in my mind. One afternoon, about two weeks into the trip, after we had left from visiting, her son came running down the hill yelling for help from three of the boys on our team . She was lying on the floor unable to move and needed help down the hill. My stomach had dropped, we were just there five minuets ago…. I was really scared for her. Immediately three of them went and the rest of us started praying (along with that Panama had also not seen rain for the past two years.). I wasn’t very big on praying, but this is the time where I saw how much prayer affects people and I was into it!

After getting her down the hill the boys went with her to the hospital, I was scared to death and honestly very nervous. There were so much going through my mind, what if she dies, what if they can’t help her? My team and I prayed for two hours ( about the amount of time it took to get to the hospital), and, as we were praying, all of a sudden it began pouring rain. My heart was lifted and I was full of joy. And to see the joy of the families in the village- that image still remains in my mind to this day.

About an hour and a half later the boys and the older woman came home and said that by the time they were at the hospital the doctor saw nothing wrong, and she walked up the hill without any help! It was amazing to see a woman who had been sick and in pain for almost a year finally freed from her sickness. It was a miracle to experience the lady getting healed. Even more our team cried in witnessing the miracle of the rain pouring down at the same time the lady got healed. After this experience I believe and have never doubted that miracles can and do happen.