It’s All About The Music

Tyler - Provo, Utah

The line wraps around the entire building, every one waiting for the same reason. The air is electrified with excitement. I am constantly standing on my toes trying to see if the doors are open. Even waiting in line my heart is pumping with anticipation and excitement. The doors open and people flood in, hundreds of people all trying to get as close as they can to the stage. For me and everyone else in the building nothing else in the world matters. Then from the darkness on the stage the drummer stomps the base pedal; the whole room explodes with the screams of hundreds of fans. Lights start flashing, and the band starts playing.

I believe in going to rock concerts. It is my outlet for life and all the things it throws my way. I listen to music a lot but it does not give me something to do; something that is an actual activity that I can participate in. Everything about the scene screams uncomfortable, and yet everyone is happy and carefree. They are carefree for the same reason I am; I’m going totally crazy releasing all of my energy that has been sitting in me for weeks. The stress from piles of school work and hours of studying for tests is all gone for a little bit. Everyone is out to enjoy the scene and have a good time so when a Mosh Pit breaks out ten people reach down to pick up anyone who starts to get trampled in the storm of fists and bodies. It’s not just about listening to music; it is about the energy that is created by seeing the artists and interacting with them. This energy helps me not feel self conscious but free to be myself. I thoroughly enjoy going to a place where I can meet people that are being themselves and not worrying about what others think. This is my activity that helps me unwind from life and have a moment to just enjoy myself; everyone needs some activity that does that.

The air is now stiflingly hot and muggy. I am completely soaked in my own sweat as well the sweat of all the people around me. I have bruises and maybe a few scratches but I don’t even notice. My hearing will be impaired for the next few days, but at the moment it doesn’t even matter. The crowded floor too packed to move or even breathe properly so I jump up on top of the crowd and they throw me to the front where I exit and catch my breath. Afterwards I get in line to meet the performers and congratulate them on a great show. I don’t have a care in the world, I could be giving a speech in front of hundreds the next day but that and everything else is pushed out of my mind for the night.