Brian - Hampton, New Hampshire
Themes: environment

One day I was driving with my family to the Newington mall, and as most people know who live in Hampton NH or the seacoast that there is a Coal Power plant right next to the mall. As we were driving I started to look at the smokestack of the power plant and then at the smoke it was emanating. I didn’t just look at it; I took it in and thought about what I was looking at. There was smoke, a dense dark-grey color and it was rising into the atmosphere. I can remember it to this day as I watched it in the window of my car, I was almost in tears. Most people just drive right by it without even a thought of what that smoke is doing to our atmosphere. I know that these things are supposed to be environmentally friendly, but how friendly can you get when you are burning huge amounts of coal to produce electricity? Then I looked to my left and right and saw cars, both emitting smoke from there exhaust pipes and knew that my car was doing the exact same thing along with the millions of others cars on this planet all of which have the same effect, destruction of our world.

When you say ‘our world’ there is no ‘your’ in that phrase it has to do with every walk of life on this planet, it has to do with the future walks of life on this planet. The earth is the only known planet with life on it so far, out of all the stars in the universe, an amount so huge that not even the human mind can understand it. If our earth is the only planet with life on it don’t you think that is a precious thing? That precious thing that six billion people call home is being destroyed. Once it is gone it is gone forever.

All of this thinking caused a mix of feelings in me, anger, confusion and helplessness. Anger toward the people that make all this happen, by driving cars producing electricity the cheap way instead of the smart way and a whole bunch of other things that make this world a worse place to live in. Confusion, when I thought what can I do to help ameliorate the situation which leads to helplessness because I can’t help the situation, I’m only a thirteen year old.

The people that can help our earth are not, they will help the coal industry or gas industry before they help the earth. We have the knowledge to not be dependant on oil we just are not using that knowledge because if we do a major industry goes crashing down. That major industry is more important than our Earth crashing down; at least that is what our leaders seem to be thinking. They know that they will be dead by the time the earth is gone so what do they care, they just want to please themselves and other people. If it means building a new oil rig on the ocean rather than windmills then by all means they do it. I am not saying that everyone thinks this way, but there are enough people that think this way and they are the reason that the earth is being destroyed. There are many people out there who are putting all there money, time and effort into saving this world but not enough of them. It would be great if it was the other way around, more people concerned about the earth, and less people concerned about making money. If we all thought in these ways our Earth would be that much better.

We all need to get past our own desires and think what do we really want, do we want our children to have to struggle to fix our mess or do we want them to live a happy life knowing the world’s future is safe. The preciousness of life and sustaining life is a far greater cause than our own wants and desires this I believe.