Lukas - Boulder, Colorado
Themes: peace, pleasure

I believe in the incredible importance of having time to yourself away from everything; in one word I believe in the power of solitude. In my life, there is nothing more important than having the ability to escape from everything around me in whatever way necessary to accomplish that. For me, that way is getting on a bike and riding until I drop.

I am a very private person and if I don’t have time to myself, I can be a complete wreck for a long time until I get the time that I need. I have had a lot of things, both good and bad, occur in my life in the past two years and I, in all honesty have gotten myself through them. I believe that the minute I step over the saddle on one of my bikes, my problems seem to melt away and it is just me exactly where I want to be. While I may not be completely alone, I believe that I have control over my life and what I can do when I am in that saddle pedaling those pedals. There is no other time when I feel like I have that complete power but when I am alone in control.

Solitude does not have to be locking myself in a room, in fact for me it means something almost completely opposite. In my life, solitude just means me being with me. I can find solitude in a crowded room or on a crowded street flying past everything. While this may seem trivial to many, I know in my heart that there is nothing that gives me the ultimate joy inside than going away from it all under the power of my own legs. I believe that I would not be the same person that I am today if I didn’t have the ability to take myself away and regroup. I am the busiest person that I know but always find time when it is at all possible to get a ride in because I know that I will feel so much better.

The power of solitude is an integral part of my life and without it; I wouldn’t be the person that I have come to know myself as.