I believe in People.

Susan - Richfield, Minnesota

I believe in my country and the foundation it was built upon. I believe in the people, the flag and all that it was meant to be for America. I believe in brotherly love and amazing grace. I believe in the Pledge of Allegiance – we said it everyday in school when I was a little girl – I knew nothing different. I believe in the stars and stripes and when I see my flag blowing so gracefully in the wind, I see and feel that freedom that our flag represents. Yes, I believe in the words to the National Anthem – “O say, can you see”. I do see and I do believe. When I hear those words, I weep with joy and I remember at those moments how so many men and women fought for my freedom to cry over our national anthem. I am vividly proud to be an American.

I believe in the 4th of July – the celebration of our independence. I believe in democracy and I am truly grateful that I have voice and that my voice counts.

However, I believe too, there is so much to be concerned about. I worry about my children’s future. I worry about road rage and guns in the schools. I worry about kidnappings, sex offenders, and drugs. There are moments when I just want to give up and pull my children out of any event just to protect them from my fears. I watch TV and see violence, war, racism, sexism, and every other ism there is, and I begin to believe in what I’m seeing and I watch in fear to what is happening to the country that I appreciate so deeply. I believe that the days of the Pledge of Allegiance are gone. I believe that our flag is being burned, in front of our eyes. I believe there is hate beyond anything I can imagine. And I wonder, what should I believe. It is true that we are struggling as a nation through the perils of the 21st century – pick your poison.

But I will damned if I stop believing in brotherly love and amazing grace, because these are principles that have merit. People are good. This is a great nation, we must be indivisible.

I believe in people, their ability to affect change – good or bad. I believe in doing the right thing and doing things right. I believe because believing is good – believing is very good for my soul.