Emily - Bonne Terre, Missouri

I believe in Gnosticism; religion through self knowledge with no control from any church. The ten insights from the Celestine Prophecy and The Tenth Insight by James Redfield teach the reader how to experience a more spiritual life without the church, and how to evolve as a person.

The books concentrate on spiritually evolving ourselves our own way, explaining about our individual energy (also known as the aura) and how we have a tendency to steal energy from the people around us. With much meditation, one learns how to control this, causing the person to live more harmonious with the people in their surroundings. The books teach the reader to think for themselves allowing someone to be spiritual without church control. This is a great for me because I am such a scientific thinker and Gnosticism allows me to still believe in the scientific ways, but also believe in some higher being.

I first read the books when I was a sophomore in high school. I was very confused about religion and have been for most of my life. As a child, my grandma tried to make my sister and I believe that church was just a fashion show. Once I grew up I realized that God didn’t care what one wore, he loved all. After quite a few years of lectures and dirty looks from my grandma, my dad thrust the Celestine Prophecy at me and said, “Read this. You’ll like it.” The Celestine Prophecy made me realize that one can believe in something, without being controlled. I also really enjoyed how my father has practiced seeing the auras and is teaching me.

For the first half of the last millennium, our society has been under the control of the church. I believe in a religion that doesn’t involve someone saying they are the voice of God. No one should tell the people what books to read, who to shun, and how to live their lives. People of the Church have always looked down on me when they learn that I don’t belong to their religion. Throughout my life, people have tried to convince to go to church with them, their goal was for me to believe their beliefs, but I can’t stand the idea someone telling me what to believe and how to believe it.

I believe in self-knowledge because I can be free and believe as I want to.